The Most Linked-To Wikipedia Articles on Stack Overflow
I discovered the Stack Overflow Data Explorer this morning, which allows you to query the entire catalogue of Stack Overflow posts. After playing with it, I decided to figure out which Wikipedia articles have been linked to most often by Stack users over the past two years.
Over a two-year period, there were 10,831,467 total Stack Overflow posts. 93,290 (0.86%) posts contained the text ‘en.wikipedia.org’, representing 115,591 links. These links pointed to about 25,000 unique articles. 14,600 articles (58.25%) appeared just once. 91.76% of the articles appeared fewer than ten times, accounting for 38.31% of all links.
The most common link, SQL Injection, was cited over 1,000 times. Another 42* links appeared more than 200 times, and 113 total links appeared more than 100 times. The top 10 most linked-to articles are below. You can see the full list here.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_Injection (1001 links)
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same_origin_policy (909)
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSONP (501)
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-origin_resource_sharing (492)
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singleton_pattern (468)
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undefined_behavior (420)
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model%E2%80%93view%E2%80%93controller (406)
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_responsibility_principle (402)
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_repeat_yourself (398)
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization (358)
 There were about 5 references to the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe, and Everything appeared.